- LNG Supply, Transport & Storage Philippines on November 8-10
- Cusi to energy investors: Let us fuel the Mindanao economy
- Lepanto starts commercial operation of copper-gold resource
- FNI bares higher mineral resources at Surigao mine
- Senator pitches ‘FOI for mining’ bill; PH meets global EITI standards
- Cimatu to propose legislation on open-pit mining
- PH should give foreign investors more leeway – NEDA chief
- Miners to Duterte: Visit rehabilitated mine pits
- Marcventures plans merger with 2 other miners
- Chamber of Mines picks Brimo as new chair, names other trustees
FNI bares higher mineral resources at Surigao mine
GLOBAL Ferronickel Holdings Inc. (FNI) said on Thursday that the mineral resource estimate of its subsidiary Platinum Group Metals Corp. (PGMC) had increased by 3.8 million dry metric tons (DMT) following the completion of drilling activities at Cagdianao (CAGA) deposit areas 2 and 3 in Surigao del Norte.
In a disclosure to the Philippine Stock Exchange, FNI announced that the combined measured and indicated mineral resources at CAGA 1 to 5 have increased to 54.16 million DMT from the previous 50.3 million DMT, with an average grade of 1.1 percent nickel and 31.4 percent iron, the Manila Times reported Oct. 6.
Of the material mix, medium-grade accounted for 69 percent or 37.2 million DMT, low-grade made up 20 percent or 10.8 million DMT, and high-grade accounted for 11 percent or 6.23 million DMT.
Inferred resources, whose tonnage, grade and mineral content can be estimated with a low level of confidence, reached 23.98 million DMT from 18.08 million DMT, with an average grade of 1.2 percent nickel and 21.5 percent iron, FNI said.
“Even as we are continuing to mine CAGA 2 and 4, our exploration program allows us to successfully increase our resource inventory and continually upgrade resource confidence level,” FNI President Dante Bravo said in the disclosure.
“[We] still have significant scope for further exploration. We expect to report new drill data for CAGA 1, 6 and 7 in 2018,” he added.
The CAGA nickel project covers 4,376 hectares in Sitio Kinalablaban in Barangay Cagdianao, Claver, Surigao del Norte. The mining project is split into seven contiguous laterite deposits, and connected within eight kilometers from two causeway facilities.
The project is covered by a 25-year Mineral Production Sharing Agreement, and an Environmental Compliance Certificate that allows a maximum production volume of 5 million DMT annually.
Besides PGMC, FNI’s other subsidiaries also include Surigao Integrated Resources Corporation, PGMC-CNEP Shipping Services Corp, and PGMC International Limited.