- DOE: 9 more petroleum service contracts to be awarded
- Philex Mining hoping to extend Padcal mine life span beyond 2022
- Chamber: PH mining uncertainties attracting high risk investors
- DENR: Not business as usual for miners that hurdled MICC review
- Site observes new opportunities in resurgent oil and gas sector
- Miners call for end of ban on big new projects
- P41-m upland road project in Didipio begins
- Visit gives Cimatu good impression of firm’s Masbate mining operation
- Cimatu to speak at Mining Luncheon on June 8
- Ban on export of unprocessed mine ore won’t work, experts say
Mining firm teaches a generation to plant a tree
Responsible mining doesn’t only mean complying with the letter and spirit of the law. It also means going out to the community and teaching kids the importance of looking after our planet.
Marcventures Mining and Development Corp. teamed up with various schools in Surigao del Sur to conduct massive tree planting activities, the Manila Standard reported Jan. 27.
MMDC recently joined hands with the girl scouts and boy scouts of Matho National High School and Matho Integrated School, in Cortes town, to plant at least a thousand Mahogany seedlings around the vicinities of the public schools. The tree-planting activity was conducted in partnership with the Community Environment and Natural Resources Office.
MMDC also partnered with Cenro and the pupils of the Cantilan East Central Elementary School in Cantilan municipality to plant at least 300 Narra seedlings in Barangay Magosilom. The group conducted a coastal clean-up, hauling sacks of wastes that otherwise could have adverse effects on the town’s water bodies.
During the annual Environment Month celebration, students of Cantilan National High School also actively participated in MMDC’s tree-planting activities in Barangay Bon-ot, Carrascal town.
Marcventures committed to continue the community-based tree-planting activities in its effort to connect the youth to the environment, showing them that while environmental preservation takes hard work, it can also be a fun and meaningful endeavor.